Trip to Montana on 1988 BMW R100GS Motorcycle- June 2018

Day 3 -

Wednesday- It rained during the night then it stopped. But in morning the roof of the hangar continued to drip and flow. Fortunately I 
was out of the drop zone but the water continued as if it were melting snow or heavy frost rather than draining rain. I donít know.  
This was my coldest night of the trip with my sleeping gear being inadequate. I pulled my watch cap down, tucked my fleece vest 
around me and zipped up the bag all the way but the dampness inside the tent and my down bag caused me to shiver. So I deliberately 
did isometrics with my legs and stomach muscles to generate some heat until the sun came up. The morning dawned bright and clear. 
I was out of the wind and in the direct morning sun so my gear dried quickly and I used a handy trailer as my breakfast table and gear 
staging platform.   I was able to meet Shelly in person before leaving and thank her for the hospitality.  That sure worked out nicely!

I headed north and stopped at Daniel for fuel. Continued on US 191 to US 89 downhill to Hoback then Hoback Canyon. 
The Hoback river was running pottery-clay red! There had been some kind of landslide on a side creek that turned the river red 
all the way down to its confluence with the Snake near Alpine Junction.  

I joined US26 and proceeded next to Palisades reservoir. I came across a motorcyclist with luggage and no license plate stopped 
alongside the road apparently filming a cropduster who was working parallel and close to the road.  We talked briefly. We both 
needed gas and lunch and Subway was his usual lunch as was mine so- we headed west with Mark leading. At Irwin there was a gas 
station with Subway so we stopped for gas and lunch.   Mark was out on his own fabulous adventure and was headed for Baker City 
Oregon with an Oregon Trail theme to his travels. He kindly bought my lunch for no apparent reason. Thanks Mark! 

Then we headed  to, and thru, Idaho Falls on US 26 then US 20. My tank bag rolled off my bike while we were at a stoplight. Iíd failed to
hook the right side correctly after the last gas stop. What an embarrassment! First time for that.  Fortunately the exhaust pipe didnít burn thru
any part of the bag. Then onward we went toward  Arco. Mark saw the sign for the EBR-1 reactor museum so we turned off for that.  
Iíd visited there many years ago and since Iím a former Navy Nuke there wasnít quite the magic in the place for me that there is for him
so- I gave him my email and we parted ways.  

I headed in to Arco and was astonished to see the sail of a real nuclear submarine in the city park. I could tell it was of the class just 
before mine based on the side number as well as the fact of having ladder rungs welded on it. (Mine didnít have a way to climb down 
the sail to the hull)

This is a Mk 46 torpedo. Big aren't they? My boat had Mk 48 torpedoes.

I refueled in Arco and headed north on US 93.  

In Mackay I stopped to use the restroom then went to find the free city campground.  It looked like a pretty good campground though 
it was in need of mowing. And for some reason even though the place was 75% unoccupied they had a ĎCampground Fullí sign showing.   
I should call and ask about thatÖ..

Full?  Really?  Is camouflage really that good?

The ride up  US 93 is really amazing. Itís quite remote and very beautiful from mountains and bluffs and long views.     

I reached the Cottonwood BLM campground about 1830 and looked over the sites. And I landed back on the exact same site I occupied 
last year. This time the river was down about 2 feet lower and more normal.   I set up my camp  and was just hanging out when the guy 
from the next camp over came up with a plate of food asking if I was hungry. Hungry?  He brought steak, potatoes, corn on the cob and 
salad. Wow! CAMPGROUND MAGIC!   He and his wife were out of Rigby riding their Honda cruisers and just getting away for the night. 
And they give away food when they have it. Fabulous!

Campground magic!

Last year Iíd regretted not having a freestanding tent at this very site. This year I have tent that is partially freestanding. The inner tent is
self-supported but the rainfly needs to be staked out. I used a small log to pound the stakes into the gravel. That actually works if the
stakes are fairly substantial and donít bend. 

Same site as last year but water was a bit lower. Lots of cotton around.

Link to Page 1
Link to Page 2
Link to Page 3
Link to Page 4
Link to Page 5
Link to Page 6
Link to Page 7

Link to Page 8


Last Modified: 7/2/2018